Monday, May 14, 2012

Summertime Potato Salad

Growing up I never ate mayo in anything - obviously, I'm Italian! I always knew potato salad to be made with oil and vinegar, as my mom and aunt made it. And to this day, I will not eat potato salad if it is made with mayo. It actually kind of grosses me out - no offense to everyone, I know you all like the American, classic potato salad! Well, since I am marking my words here, I have to share this recipe with y'all. It's very simple and delicious! This makes a great side dish to any meaty meal or BBQ. We made it this Mother's day along side our grilled veal chop that you see in the photo.

 Use about 1 potato for every 2 people, depending on potato size and about 4 string beans per person - but people tend to go for a second helping so I suggest to always make more!  







Boil the potatoes whole until they are fully cooked through.
Remove from water and peal off skin while they are still hot, as it is easier to remove skin while potatos are still hot.
Set aside to let potatoes cool. Slice into chunky pieces, as shown in photo.

Snap/cut the string beans in half. Boil the them with a little salt until they are cooked but still crunchy. Like a blanch, but a little bit longer.
Set aside to cool.

Once these are cooled off, combine in a large mixing/serving bowl. Add some sliced red onion, a few cherry tomatoes cut into halves, dried oregano, salt, pepper, and fresh parsley. Dress with EVOO and red wine vinegar. Toss all together and serve at room temp or slightly cooled. This can be refrigerated for days for left overs!

No comments:

Post a Comment