Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Rigatoni with Beef and Pancetta Ragu

Having extra pancetta from my recent Shrimp and Pancetta dinner, I wanted to use it up this weekend. Given it was Sunday and all, we had to make a sauce for our Sunday Dinner. I took a spin on Bolognese Sauce (subtracted carrots and celery - but feel free to use them!). Ground beef, lots of white onion, garlic, pancetta, red wine, olive oil, salt, herbs, red pepper flakes - and that's it! The sauce was super flavorful, and I plan on making this again and again since it was such a hit. In these pictures I used Rigatoni, one of my favorite types of pastas - of course you can use anything like penne, ziti, paccheri, whatever you are in the mood for since the sauce is very versatile. I usually make a big batch of sauce and freeze containers for quick and easy meals during the week.

One thing I want to mention about the red wine ingredient - they say don't cook with wine you wouldn't drink. It's true, I suggest using decent wine for cooking.  We actually opened one of Ryan's favorite Cab Savs as we were cooking, Benzinger Reserve - Don't tell him but while he wasn't looking I used it for the sauce. Maybe that's why he liked it so much!!

Ingredients: Serves 4-6
  • 1 lb Ground Sirloin (I use 90% lean since I prefer less grease in my pasta sauce)
  • 1/2 Small White Onion, diced
  • 1 Garlic Glove, minced
  • 1/2 lb Pancetta, cut into small pieces
  • 1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
  • 2 Large Cans of Whole Peeled Tomatoes
  • 3/4 Cup Red Wine
  • 2 Sprigs of Fresh Rosemary
  • 2 Sprigs of Fresh Thyme
  • Handful of Fresh Basil
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Parmigiano Cheese Rind
  • Salt to taste
  • Pasta
Run the tomatoes through a blender so they are fully blended to a tomato sauce.
In a large stock pot, medium heat, warm a few tablespoon of olive oil and add the pancetta. Saute until it begins to brown. Add the onions, garlic and crushed red pepper. Saute tthe onions until they are translucent, they should pick up the brown color from the cooked pancetta fat.


Add in the meat and break up/mix until meat is half cooked.
Pour in red wine and let simmer until meat is fully cooked.
Add in tomato sauce and stir all together.
When sauce comes to a boil, add fresh basil, rosemary, thyme, cheese rind, and salt to taste. Cook for about 45 minutes.


Serve on top of your pasta of choice, cooked al dente. Grate parm or romano cheese on top. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Complimenti, Tiziana. Stai diventando piu brava della mamma. Ti volevo fare i nostri auguri. C Rossi

    ReplyDelete