Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Drunken Turkey Tacos

I've said this before, but my favorite cuisine next to Italian is Mexican. I have Mexican cravings probably more often than I should admit.

It may not seem like it because of all the pasta and other goodness I cook, but I am somewhat health conscious. I like to try recipes with healthy alternatives like whole wheat pasta versus regular...white meat versus dark meat... baked versus fried. One yummy, healthy alternative that caught me by surprise was the turkey tacos I just made! I did not even realize I was eating turkey (turkey is probably one of my least favorite meats) - it is amazing what some spices and salt can do. Sure, try my beef tacos, but when you are trying to cut the calories and cholesterol, I promise this will not disappoint. It's actually pretty darn good and I plan on using the turkey more than less when making tacos because we enjoyed them that much.
Ingredients: Makes about 6 Tacos
  • 1 lb Ground Turkey
  • 1/4 Small Red Onion, diced
  • 1 Garlic Clove, minced
  • 1/2 Guinniss Beer (or any other dark beer)
  • 1 tbs Pickled Jalapeno Peppers, diced
  • 1 tbs Chili Powder
  • 1 tbs Onion Powder
  • 1 tbs Garlic Powder
  • 3/4 tsp Ground Cumin
  • Pinch of Coriander
  • Olive Oil
  • Salt - about 1/2 tsp, but taste the turkey - don't over or under salt
  • Flour Tortillas - Taco Size
Guacamole recipe here!
Toppings: here is what I used
  • Wisconsin Cheddar, grated
  • Guacamole
  • Fresh Squeezed Lime Wedge

In a large pan, saute the onions and garlic in olive oil. Add ground turkey and let fully cook - under cooked poultry can carry salmonella, as we all know! Make sure the meat is broken up into relatively small pieces - it is more flavorful that way.

Add the beer and all the seasonings/herbs. Let cook until all beer is absorbed on medium heat, stirring occasionally.


Layer on the turkey meat, cheese, guac, and a squeezed lime wedge. YUM.


No comments:

Post a Comment