Friday, May 18, 2012

Shrimp and Pancetta

Here's the deal with this meal - Ryan had picked us up shrimp at Whole Foods after work since we were craving seafood.  Later, on my way home from work, I was thinking about how to cook the shrimp. Go figure, I decided to create something new.  Rice pilaf was also on the menu for dinner... so what kind of shrimp can I make over rice pilaf?  I stopped into the Amish Market on my way home to pick out some additional ingredients and get cooking ideas. I walked out with a chunk of pancetta from the deli station, cut about an inch thick. That's it.  It was the first thing that came to mind so I stuck with it.

Pancetta gives such a great flavor - it is like high class bacon! I've been wanting to use it more in my recipes lately since I always love it.

Anyways, like most of my recipes, this was very, very spur of the moment, and turned out to be fantastic! This is how it goes....



Ingredients: Serves 2
  • ~1 lb large shrimp, de-veinded and cleaned
  • 4 tbs olive oil
  • 1/4 lb pancetta, cut into pieces
  • 2 1/2 - 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 lemon, squeezed
  • salt and pepper
Season the shrimp with cracked pepper and a little salt, not too much salt as the pancetta is already salty.

 Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and add the pancetta. Cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and red pepper flakes - cook for about 2 more minutes. Add the wine and let sizzle off for about 1 minute before adding in the shrimp.

Add shrimp and fresh squeezed lemon juice. Cook all together for about 10-12 minutes, until shrimp are fully cooked through. Flip the shrimp a few times while cooking and stir everything together so shrimp are well-coated with the ingredients.


Serve on top of rice pilaf or along side mashed potatoes and veggies. Enjoy with a cool glass of Chardonnay!

1 comment:

  1. Complimenti, Tiziana. Stai diventando piu brava della mamma. Ti volevo fare i nostri auguri. C Rossi

    ReplyDelete