Saturday, January 19, 2013

Shells with Creamy Zucchini and Pancetta



This dish is something I recreated that my mom makes from time to time. The first time I heard we were eating "pasta with zucchini" I said OK, but in my head I was like UGH, No! That was until I took a bite. It has the perfect combination of flavors and spices that I never knew worked well together with pasta! So, here is my take on this dish - which by the way is practically identical to my mothers. This is a MUST try!

Ingredients: For 2
  • 3/4 lb of Shells
  • 1 Medium Zucchini, skin on and shaved
  • 1/4 White Onion, chopped
  • 3 tbs Pancetta, cut into small pieces (or 3 slices of bacon cut into small pieces)
  • 3/4 cups of Heavy Cream
  • 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (or as  desired)
  • Pinch of Black Pepper
  • Salt to Taste
  • Drizzle of Olive Oil
Shave the zucchini using the large holes on a cheese grater. Once all other ingredients are ready, warm a medium sauce pan and drizzle some olive oil in it. Add the pancetta and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in the onion and red pepper flakes, and continue cooking until onions are slightly softened. 


Add in the zucchini and mix ingredients together. Cover with a lid and lower heat. Cook this for about 4-5 minutes, until zucchini is softened, stirring occasionally. Once the zucchini is done, begin boiling your water for the pasta.


At this time, now add in the heavy cream to the zucchini mixture. Stir well and raise heat until it comes to a boil. Lower heat and let simmer until pasta is cooked. The sauce will thicken as shown in the picture.

Toss pasta into salted boiling water and cook until al dente. Strain, and add the shells to the zucchini sauce. Mix well.

Serve with freshly grated parmigiano reggiano and pecorino romano cheese.



No comments:

Post a Comment