Saturday, June 16, 2012

Bruschetta

I LOVE Bruschetta. If it is on a menu, chances are I will order it as a starter. If I am hosting people over, chances are I will make Bruschetta as a starter. It is just one of those very simple, but delicious and easy appetizers that everyone loves.

I use either grape or cherry tomatoes because I think they are tastier, and packed with more flavor. For every serving of tomatoes, I like to use about a quarter of red onion.

You can make these on a plain, toasted baguette... but I like to jazz up the toast with parmigiano and garlic. I've done this on both multigrain and regular bread. You choose!





Ingredients:

Tomato Bruschetta:
Grape/Cherry Tomatoes, Diced
Red Onion, Diced
Dry Italian Oregano
Cracked Black Pepper
Sea Salt
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Toast:
Baguette, sliced
Olive Oil/Butter
Parmigiano Cheese, grated
Garlic Powder


Mix together the tomatoes, onion, oregano, evoo, salt & pepper. Taste until there is enough salt and oregano. These two really make the flavors come out. Let sit together for about 20 minutes so all the flavors marinate together.



In the mean time, get the toast prepared. Drizzle olive oil or spread butter on each slice of baguette (I used olive oil here). Sprinkle garlic powder and parmigiano cheese on each slice. Toast in the oven for about 8 minutes. I like the bread softer rather than toasted harder, but if you want it crunchier, leave it in longer.





Serve the tomatoes either on top of the toasts, or display separately and let your guests make their own (this way the bread doesn't get soggy).


No comments:

Post a Comment