Sunday, March 11, 2012

Pappardelle with Veal Ragu

You may remember my very special posting of Osso Bucco. Well, I had a lot of left over juice/sauce/whatever you want to call it that day so I ended up freezing it, thinking I would be able to use it some how in the future. It was sooo yummy I couldn't toss it. This past Saturday we were on the verge of ordering take-out since food was scarce in the kitchen (grocery shopping was Sunday!). So, before picking up the phone and ordering pizza, I checked the freezer and spotted the sauce remains of the Osso Bucco...came up with the idea to make it into a ragu and serve it on top of the Pappardelle I had in the pantry. What a perfect pair!! I'm telling you - if you try my Osso Bucco recipe, definitely save the sauce for later use!! It was fantastic! If you want to make this sauce but not the Osso Bucco, try the same ingredients but use ground veal instead.







PS - Sangiovese is a must! We had one of our favorite vineyard specialties, Imagery Winery's Sangiovese - from Sonoma County.













After defrosting the sauce, I transferred it into a sauce pan. I warmed it up until it started to bubble and then put on low heat. The liquid was pretty thin for a pasta sauce so I thickened it up by sifting and whisking in a little bit of flour. I had a lot of sauce left over (about 5 cups worth) so I used about 1 1/2 tablespoons of flour to thicken it.


Boil up the pappardelle in salted water....


Serve with sauce and shaved parmigiano reggiano.

Don't forget to soak up the bottom of the bowl with some bread! ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment