Wednesday, January 25, 2012

BlackPepper Shrimp

I don't cook shrimp often.  It's just not one of those foods that I think of buying unless there is a reason or occasion to, if you know what I mean...I like it and all, but I try to limit myself from shellfish since they are high in cholesterol. Well I partially take that back, shrimp are high in both good and bad cholesterol... So technically shrimp is better for you than red meat. Let's just say it is a great food to change things up a bit in the kitchen. That's what I decided to do tonight and it was SO tasty that I jotted down all the ingredients I used. 

Ingredients: Serves 2-3
  • 3/4 pound medium fresh shrimp, peeled and de-veined
  • 1 tbs olive oil
  • 1 tbs butter / margarine
  • 1/2-3/4 tbs garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 lemon or lime, squeezed
  • Sea Salt
  • Cracked Black Pepper
Directions:
Put shrimp in a medium mixing bowl and coat with olive oil and fresh squeezed lemon. Stir them around so they are all coated well. Season with sea salt and LOTS of fresh cracked pepper. LOTS - when you think you need to stop cracking, keep going a little bit longer - MIX! To make sure each shrimp is perfectly coated with our dry seasoning, we will add each ingredient at a time then mix together - i.e. Add in the garlic powder, mix. Add in the paprika, mix. Add in the onion powder, mix.
Make sure all shrimp are well coated
High heat - Put the 1 tbs of butter on a medium skillet until it melts. Add the shrimp to the skillet and disperse evenly so they cook evenly... Flip a couple times... Cook for ~10 minutes, until shrimp are opaque. The liquid from the ingredients+butter should be all gone by the time it is done cooking.
Serve with a side of your choice - tonight we had this with rice.
Once ready they should be slighlty crispy and golden
PS - Sauvignon Blanc goes perfect with this... the touch of sweetness accompanies the spicy black pepper very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment