Sunday, October 7, 2012

Blue Cheese Coleslaw



I've never been a huge fan of coleslaw, maybe because I didn't grow up eating it, ever. Things with mayo always sort of discouraged me. Over the years coleslaw has grown on me and I've learned that it can add nice flavor and crunch to certain dishes (like my pulled pork sliders!). We initially had this coleslaw in Wisconsin, credits to Ryan's mom, and he immediately fell in love with it. In an effort to be a good wife and make one of his favorite foods, I made this coleslaw (Ina Garten's), but tweaked it a bit to be my own. I used two different kinds of blue cheese for a more sophisticated flavor, and I used miracle whip instead of mayo to make it a tad bit healthier.

Ingredients: Party Size
    Left - Roquefort, Right - Danish Mild Blue
  • 1 Small Head Green Cabbage
  • 1 Small Head Red Cabbage 
  • 4 Large Carrots, cleaned and julienned
  • 2 cups Miracle Whip (one jar) 
  • 1/4 cup Dijon Mustard 
  • 2 tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1 tsp Celery Salt
  • 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
  • 1/2 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
  • 1/4 lb Roquefort Blue Cheese, crumbled
  • 1/4 lb Danish Mild Blue Cheese, crumbled



Cut the cabbages in half and then in quarters and cut out the cores. Slice them very thin and chop into smaller slices, OR run them through a food processor. I prefer to hand cut so that I can get the size and texture I want. Transfer into a large bowl. Add the julienned carrots and mix altogether.


In a separate, medium bowl, whisk together the miracle whip, mustard, vinegar, celery salt, kosher salt, and pepper. Add in the crumbled blue cheese and mix again. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss well. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours to allow the flavors to meld. Serve cold or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment