Sunday, December 18, 2011

My Perfect Little Meatballs

I've had many meatballs in my life and I have to say, I've mastered the art of making the perfect ones. I just finished making my scrumptious balls of meat today, and I debated sharing my secret with everyone, but then two glasses of pinot noir made me feel more giving.

Tiziana's Meatballs (c) - Yes, I have a copyright on it! Kidding-just don't go writing a book about these, calling them your own. ;)


Ingredients: Serves 4-6
Tomato Sauce:
  • 2 Cans of Whole Peeled Tomatoes - Please get the good brand. I recommend Muir Glen.
  • 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
  • 1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
  • 2-3 tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Salt to taste
  • Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese Rind
  • 6 Fresh Basil Leaves
Meatballs: makes about 20-24
  • 1lb Ground Beef.  (I use 90% lean ground sirloin because I have cholesterol issues (haha) and they taste just as good.... but you can use the fattier one if you prefer, or you can mix pork/veal/beef if you like that too)
  • 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
  • 1/2 Cup Breadcrumbs
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1/4 Cup Grated Parmigiano Reggiano
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 1 tsp Black pepper (if you don't like a lot of pepper cut this in half)
  • 1 tbs Italian Parsley, finely chopped
  • Canola Oil

First, let's get the sauce going. Run the tomatoes through a blender. Then, in a large sauce pan, add the olive oil, garlic, and crushed red pepper on high heat. Cook for about 1 minute (don't let the garlic burn). Add in the tomato sauce and stir. Bring to a boil and add in the parmigiano cheese rind, basil leaves, and salt to taste. Lower the heat; stir occasionally. PS - See how easy it is? I really don't understand why people purchase jarred pasta sauce.  Anyways......

 In the mean time, get a large mixing bowl and combine the ground meat and cracked eggs and mix together. Add the breadcrumbs, cheese, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper and mix very well. Go at it and use your hands if you need to.

Next, roll the meatballs into ~3 inch balls. I personally don't prefer large meatballs but some people do, so make them as big as you please.







Coat a large frying pan with canola oil and bring to high temperature. Carefully place the meatballs on the frying pan and brown on each side for about 2 minutes.

Once they are browned, move them to a plate lined with paper towel to soak up the extra oil.
(If you want to have some fried, because those are also amazing, leave them on the frying pan for a bit longer - they make a great appetizer or side dish as well.)
Add them into the sauce and let cook for 30-45 minutes.



Serve with the pasta of your choice. Tonight, I am serving this with garlic pepperoncino spaghetti. I recommend a nice glass of Sonoma Pinot Noir, just saying...
















No comments:

Post a Comment